[/vc_column][vc_column fade_animation_offset=”45px” width=”1/2″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row inner_container=”true” no_margin=”true” padding_top=”0px” padding_bottom=”0px” bg_video=”” class=”turquoise-band” style=”margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px”][vc_column fade_animation_offset=”45px”]
Brand Voice Strategist & Copywriter
Online communication isn’t about magic formulas or some secret stuffed into a fill-in-the-blanks template. It’s a careful balance of truth and nuance. People choose you, just as my clients choose me. And because I think backstory is important, here’s a little more about me:
I built The Communications Distillery with a proprietary blend of background in communications and my experience in the non-profit sector. I’m that person who has held every imaginable position from volunteer to Executive Director, and facilitated everything from visioning and strategic planning sessions to Board Development days. Though I’ve amassed years of formal education, my pride is in my Compassionate Listening certificate, a skill I believe is integral to communications of any kind.
Outside of The Communications Distillery, I am a mother, a storyteller, and a Camp Tech instructor. I believe in integrity. I like biting cherries right off the tree. My favourite chocolate is very dark and fairly traded. I have a huge soft spot for people doing good work. Maybe that’s you. If so, let’s talk next steps!
Here’s what you can do today:
- Learn more about my brand voice development & web content writing services
- Sign up to receive my rarely-written newsletter & get a FREE tips sheet while you’re at it — just scroll to the footer for the signup form
- LIKE my Facebook page, follow me on Twitter, and join the conversation on G+
- Check out pictures of my cats/food/child/partner/neighbourhood on Instagram
- Find out when I’m teaching another Camp Tech workshop
- Reach out and say hello
Good Words (aka Testimonials)
- “Helen is a writing genius – I have hired Helen on more than one occasion and she has helped me to develop, tailor, and fine-tune a variety of publications for my business. She makes the process simple, easy, and effortless [‘joyous effort’]. She is quick, effective, and efficient and combines this with highly creative writing solutions–such a beautiful combination. Most of all, Helen is such a joy to work with; like a breath of fresh air. I highly recommend Helen for any business writing you may need. I guarantee you will be back again.”
~ Paula Pyne, Uplift Consulting
- “I had The Communications Distillery edit the manuscript for an e-class recently and I was joyfully surprised over and over by her patience, attention to detail, and level of support. Helen’s revisions were bang-on, and she delivered them in such a way that made me smile and laugh. She actually made grammar fun! Her edits and feedback were beautifully professional, practical, and compassionate. My class now reads smoothly, and I enjoyed every step of the process. I’d hire her again in a second.”
~ Chris Kay Fraser, Firefly Creative Writing
- “As a business owner, Helen is an amazing service provider who delivers quality work, on time and on budget. (Helen created the brilliant slogans for my company Camp Tech, and also edited my web design studio’s site). As a web designer, Helen’s content strategy and writing services are the perfect compliment to my designs. The websites we’ve collaborated on are some of my favourites in my portfolio. And finally, as a friend, I can say Helen is a kind, thoughtful, wonderful person. Really, you’d be silly not to work with her.”
~ Avery Swartz, web designer
- “Sometimes, when I sit down to write something for my business, I get a little nervous. What if people don’t understand me or take what I’m trying to say the wrong way? When I need someone to look over something before I send it out into the world or when I just don’t know where to start on a project, Helen can always help. It’s such a relief to me that she’s just an email away. Helen makes any task involving words seem easy and her suggestions always manage to make me sound clever and witty even when I’m having an ‘off’ day.”
~ Andrea Deal, Teetoo
- “Working with Helen was such a pleasure! I was really struggling with getting just the right headline that captured my work and complemented my website content. She intuitively understood what I wanted to convey and, with breakneck speed, provided thoughtful, on the mark ideas, and feedback. Not only was I impressed with her fabulous talent, responsiveness, and creativity, but her warmth, sensitivity, and caring nature were equally impactful. I felt held the entire time I was working with her. I highly recommend Helen for any writing project!”
~ Rachel Katz, The Urban Spirit
[/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row inner_container=”true” padding_top=”0px” padding_bottom=”0px” bg_video=”” class=”” style=””][vc_column fade_animation_offset=”45px” width=”1/1″]
Often a project requires more than (kick*ss) content. In these situations, I entrust my clients to a select community of highly talented professionals.
Here are a few of the fine folks I’d recommend to support your next big project. No affiliate links here, just good people.
| Web Design
I usually refer to Avery Swartz as “Web Designer Extraordinaire” but she’s far more than that: Avery has an unparalleled sense of design, she can code with the best of them, and she’s also the founder of Camp Tech. When I partner with Avery, I know it’s going to be fun.
| Logos & Illustrations
Kinnon is the illustrator I turn to when a client or friend asks me if I know a logo or print designer. We’ve worked in tandem on projects together and she always over-delivers, both as a creative and a communicator. I could not recommend Kinnon higher.
Firefly Creative Writing
| Coaching & Classes
What started as a regular seat around the Firefly creative table turned into a friendship and partnership. We’ve worked together in many ways for nearly a decade. If you’re working on a creative project and need some guidance, Firefly Creative Writing can be your light.
| Skill Building Hub
Working with Camp Tech is awesome. Not only did I have a super fun time in a host of creative projects (check out the Portfolio page) but I also facilitate the Camp Tech DIY Killer Content class. PLUS they give great swag. It’s a partnership made in creative heaven.
Linn Øyen Farley
| Web Design
When the rest of us were wasting time at the mall food court, Linn was coding and designing her way to online success. I love partnering with her because her eye for detail means every project has a smart, functional design. Her websites look good and work well.
Red Pencil Design
| Web Design
We love partnering with creative web designers and Guelph’s Red Pencil Design is exactly our type! Kristen Clancy specializes in websites but she’s also brilliant with visual identity, photography, and promotional materials such as brochures and posters.